The locations, descriptions, and pictures in this tour are taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_Detroit,_Michigan . "This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Detroit, Michigan. It is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places located in Detroit, Michigan, United States but outside of the Downtown Detroit and Midtown Detroit neighborhoods."
The Alden Park Towers were built in 1922 south of Jefferson to take advantage of the natural beauty of the Detroit River. This structure is one of the few large apartment buildings constructed in Detroit.
The Art Moderne Alger Theater is one of only two remaining intact and unchanged neighborhood theaters in the city of Detroit (the second being the Redford Theatre). The theater is owned by Friends of the Alger Theater, a non profit organization dedicated to refurbishing and reopening the theater.
The Antietam Street bridge (along with the nearby Chestnut Street bridge) was built in the late 1920s and early 1930s as part of Detroit's program to separate railroad and street grades. It runs over what was once the Grand Trunk Railroad, and is now the Dequindre Cut. The bridge was demolished due to structural deficiencies.
The Arden Park-East Boston Historic District was platted in the 1890s east of Woodward in what was then the far northern reaches of Detroit. The neighborhood was platted with large lots to attract wealthier residents of Detroit; some of the neighborhood's first residents included Frederick Fisher, John Dodge, and J.L. Hudson. The neighborhood, along with nearby Boston-Edison (also on the register) remained a premier address for residential living in Detroit.
This Roman Catholic parish was started in 1830 by German immigrnats. The church is known as the Assumption Grotto Church, due to the popularity of the grotto, completed in 1881, which was built as a replica of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes in France. The church complex includes the grotto, a 1929 church, a rectory, convent, and cemetery.
The Edmund Atkinson School was built as an elementary school in 1927. Detroit Public Schools closed the building in 2007, and in 2010 sold it to National Heritage Academy for $600,000. The building has reopened as Legacy Charter Academy.
This two-and-one-half-story structure is still one of the finest of Detroit's Richardsonian Romanesque houses. Built of dark brick and brown stone, it has a massive gable roof and a conical-roofed tower with conical roof. The facade contains multiple surface and window treatment, including sculptutal elements by Julius Melchers around the entrance.
Belle Isle is a 982-acre (3.97 km2) island park in the Detroit River, home to the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory, the Detroit Yacht Club, the Detroit Boat Club, the Dossin Great Lakes Museum, a Coast Guard post, and a municipal golf course. It is the largest island park in the United States.
The Boston-Edison Historic District is a historic neighborhood consisting of over 900 homes. Historically significant residents include Henry Ford, James Couzens, Horace Rackham, Peter E. Martin, C. Harold Wills, Clarence W. Avery, Sebastian S. Kresge, and Clarence Burton. It is one of the largest residential historic district in the nation.
The Joseph Campau House, built on land that was originally part of the Joseph Campau farm, is one of the oldest residences in Detroit. The house is a simply constructed two-story house with a symmetrical three-bay facade.
The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament is the home of the Archdiocese of Detroit since its inception in 1938. Construction of the church started in 1913, but proceeded rather slowly. The interior was finished in 1930, and the exterior was not finished until 1951 with the construction of the towers.
This church was built by the Disciples of Christ in Detroit, in the mid-1920s as their second church in Detroit. In the 1970s, the congregation migrated into the suburbs, and the church was sold to the Little Rock Missionary Baptist Church.
The Chateau Frontenac was an eight-story apartment building constructed from buff brick, with off-white terra cotta details and a hipped roof of green Spanish tile. It has been demolished.
The Chene House was one of the few examples of Federal architecture in Detroit. It was built in 1850 by Alexander Chene on land which had been granted to the Chene family by Louis XIV of France in 1707. The home was demolished in April 1991; an IHOP was built in its place.
The Chestnut Street bridge (along with the nearby Antietam Street bridge) was built in the late 1920s/early 1930s as part of Detroit's program to separate railroad and street grades. It runs over what was once the Grand Trunk Railroad, and is now the Dequindre Cut.
This Episcopalian church, constructed in 1863, is the oldest Protestant church in Michigan which is still located on its original site. The church is built in an American Gothic style, using limestone and sandstone; a massive belfry with a squared-off Germanic roof dominates the front facade. All interior woodwork, save the roof, is made from local butternut. There are two Tiffany windows in the church, with more windows designed by other famous glass companies.
This three-story, Mediterranean Revival school, named for Michigan Supreme Court chief justice Thomas M. Cooley opened in 1928. It was closed in 2010.
Corktown is the oldest surviving neighborhood in Detroit, dating to the 1850s. The name comes from the Irish immigrants who settled there; they were predominantly from County Cork. The neighborhood is primarily residential, but the district does include some commercial buildings, mostly along Michigan Avenue.
This building was originally constructed in 1905 for a firm that made radiator chaplets, and was enlarged in several stages in 1916, 1917, 1924, and the early 1950s. The company ceased operations in Detoit in the 1980s. The building has been refurbished into lofts, and is now known as the Research Lofts on Trumbull.
The Croul-Palms House is a is named after its first two owners, Jerome Croul and Francis Palms. The house is an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture.
Denby High School is a named after Edwin C. Denby, an attorney, former Michigan legislator and Secretary of the Navy during the administration of Warren G. Harding. The Art Deco building features nautical themes.
The Detroit Naval Armory, also known as the R. Thornton Brodhead Armory, was constructed as a training facility for the Michigan "naval militias," the forerunner of present-day Navy and Marine Corps Reserve units. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration funded numerous artistic additions to the armory; this collection of WPA art is the largest collection of federally funded Depression-era artwork of any building in the state.
The Detroit Yacht Club is the largest yacht club in the United States. Its clubhouse was designed by architect George Mason in a Mediterranean Revival style.
The Duane Doty School, built in 1908, was named after a former Superintendant of Schools for Detroit.
The complex includes a cluster of six buildings (also known as the Globe Trading Company Building) and a dry dock along the river; these structures are the remnants of a once-thriving maritime construction trade. The machine shop is significant as an early industrial building with structural steel frame and curtain walls.
The East Grand Boulevard Historic District includes a few moderate-sized apartment buildings and numerous large homes constructed primarily between 1900 and 1925. The apartment buildings in the district include the El Tovar Apartments, Saint Paul Manor Apartments, and the Kingston Arms Apartments.
Eastern market, established in the 1850s, is the largest historic public market district in the United States. The district houses food wholesaling and processing businesses as well as public market sheds. The second set of boundaries represents an increase added on 2007-02-01.
The Eastside Historic Cemetery District consists of three separate cemeteries: Mount Elliott Cemetery (Catholic, established 1841), Elmwood Cemetery (Protestant, established 1846), and the Lafayette Street Cemetery (Jewish, established 1850), spreading over 150 acres (0.61 km2) in total. The cemeteries are notable for the monuments, landscaping, and notable individuals interred there.
The Eighth Precinct Police Station is the second-oldest police building in Detroit. The station is made up of two, two-story structures with a single-story arcade between. The main building was used as office space while the other building was used as a garage. The building currently houses Phoenix Group Consultants.
The 73-apartment El Tovar Apartment building is an excellent example of Spanish Moorish/Art Deco style. It is located within the East Grand Boulevard Historic District.
Engine House No. 11 is the oldest remaining fire house in the city of Detroit. It was organized in 1884 with horse-drawn equipment, and converted to motorized equipment in 1911. The building was used as a fire house until 1972.
Engine House No. 18 is the third oldest existing (and the oldest operating) fire station in Detroit. It was built in 1892 with two first-floor engine bays.
The First Baptist Church congregation was founded in 1827. This building was constructed in 1910 as congregants moved out of the downtown area. In 1957, with the congregation again on the move, First Baptist sold the building to the Peoples Community Church, who remain in the building.
The Fisher and New Center Buildings as a pair are an architecturally significant complex demonstrating some of the finest craftsmanship and artistry in Art Deco–style buildings. Both were funded by the Fisher brothers (of Fisher Body) and designed by Albert Kahn. The New Center building is now known as the Albert Kahn Building.
Built in 1927 by the Fisher brothers, this skyscraper is one of the greatest works by architect Albert Kahn. The Fishers spent lavishly to make this Art Deco masterpiece a monumental gift to Detroit and one of the most finely detailed major commercial buildings in the United States.
The Piquette plant is a New England mill-style building, built by the Ford Motor Company in 1904. The building is where the Model T was designed and first built. Ford moved out in 1910, selling the building to Studebaker. It is currently operated as a museum, the Model T Automotive Heritage Complex.
This Fort Street bridge was by far the largest and most ambitious structure included in the 1920s grade separation plan, where major streets and rail lines were separated with a series of bridges and subways. Fort Street was, at the time, designated a "superhighway," requiring the bridge to be 80 feet (24 m) in width; the tracks underneath required a 2,800 feet (850 m) span.
Fort Wayne is Detroit's third fort, after Fort Detroit and Fort Lernoult. The original star fort and barracks at Fort Wayne was constructed in 1845-48. It served as a mustering center and garrison post from the Civil War though the Vietnam War. Later buildings were added outside the star fort, including officer's homes, a guard post, hospital, additional barracks, and other buildings.
The Garden Court Apartments were constructed for J. Harrington Walker (of Hiram Walker & Sons) in 1915. Walker lived across the street from the Garden Court; when the building was completed, he moved into one of the apartments. The nine-story building originally housed 32 very large luxury apartments.
The James A. Garfield School is one of the oldest existing schools in the city of Detroit, as well as one of the least altered. The school, named for president James A. Garfield, was designed in 1896; in 1907, the name of the building was changed to honor Frank H. Beard, the director of the Springwells school board for 17 years.
The 15-story General Motors Building was designed in 1919 by Albert Kahn, and used until 1996 as the headquarters of General Motors Corporation. The building, currently known as Cadillac Place, is now leased by the State of Michigan.
The Gethsemane Lutheran Church is a wooden, High Victorian Gothic chapel, built in 1891 by the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. The congregation used the building until 1976, when they went defunct. The building was purchased by the Motor City Missionary Baptist Church in 1978.
The Grand Riviera was built in 1925, at a cost of over one million dollars. It seated over three thousand patrons, and was the first "atmospheric" theater in Detroit, using lighting, special effects, and interior design to make the audience feel like they were sitting outdoors in a garden. Due to structural deterioration, the Grand Riviera Theater was demolished in 1997.
The Greenfield Union School was built for $40,000 in 1914 in what was then Greenfield Township. In 1916, the area was annexed by the city of Detroit. The school was nominated to the NRHP as part of the Public Schools of Detroit MPS.
The Hibbard Apartment Building is a nine-story structure with 40 units, designed in a handsome Renaissance Revival style by Robert O. Derrick, who also designed the National Historic Landmark Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.
The Hook and Ladder House No. 5 and the Detroit Fire Department Repair Shop are two cojoined structures originally built for the Detroit Fire Department. The Hook and Ladder House was built in 1888, the Repair Shop in 1917. The two are now the Sala Thai Restaurant and the FD Lofts.
In 1890, William Northwood, the co-founder of the Howard-Northwood Malt Manufacturing Company, commissioned architect George F. Depew to design this home. The structure was completed in 1891 at a cost of $13,500. In the 1960s, the house was converted into a church. In the early 1970s, the home was purchased by the Hunter family, who converted it back to a private residence. This house is also known as the Northwood House or the Northwood - Hunter House. It is currently operated as the Woodbridge Star, a bed and breakfast.
Hurlbut Memorial Gate, named for Detroit grocer and Water Commissioner Chauncey Hurlbut (1803–1885), marks the entrance to Waterworks Park, the main site of Detroit's municipal water system. The gate is a handsome limestone Beaux Arts design.
Indian Village has a number of architecturally significant homes built in the early 20th century. Many of the homes were built by prominent architects such as Albert Kahn, Louis Kamper and William Stratton for some of the area's most prominent citizens such as Edsel Ford.